Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Quickie

Due to popular demand, and in an effort to cling to all three of my diehard fans, I submit this lame offering.

More Quotes From Katy

Today, after church I asked the kids where they wanted to go for lunch. Katy suggested McDonald's. I said, "No, I don't want any unhealthy fast food." Her response? "Then how about Jack-in-the-Box?" So we went to Chili's.

At lunch, we were watching a football game. She said, "Our bus driver doesn't like it when we wear Dallas Cowboys shirts, because he's a Washington Rednecks fan."

From The Is It Just Me? Department

After lunch, we went to Target. Katy told me she was outgrowing her underwear, so I had her select a couple of packages of panties. When I unwrapped them to put them in the laundry, I was confronted with one pair that said "Absolutely Purrrfect" under an adorable silkscreened photograph of a kitten. Another pair depicts a cartoon monkey eating a lollipop and saying, simply, "Yummy!" Do pedophiles make these panties or do I just have a sick mind?

Great Show

Last night we took the kids to a concert at the Verizon Amphitheater. We went to see Switchfoot and Third Day, without much care to see the opening acts (Jars of Clay--which I don't much like, and some dude named Robert Randolph). Well, they bring out Robert Randolph later in the show and we realize who he is. The most amazing pedal steel guitarist ever. Dave Matthews and Eric Clapton appear on his latest album. In fact, Clapton pretty much discovered him and then took him on tour. Here he is with Rob Thomas on VH-1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kORLhZ7XO-Y&feature=related (Sorry, I still can't figure out how to do hypertext links in here, so you have to cut and paste if you're even interested.) So this is who we get to see with Switchfoot and Third Day. Awesome.

The Agony of Aging

While we're at the concert, I go to one of the many overpriced concession stands. The 55-ish guy at the register is giving me my change. He counts it out: "five, six, seven, eight..." Then he goes, "Schlemiel, shlimazel, hasenpfeffer incorporated..." I laughed as I had not heard that song since I was like ten years old. The guy nods and goes, "Yeah, you know that song, don't you?" I smiled and sang back, "Give us any chance, we’ll take it. Give us any rule, we’ll break it..." Then we shared a good laugh like old folks do when they get all nostalgic. As I walked away, I jokingly thought, Asshole.

Random Questions

Why do so many people pronounce asterisk as asterick? Does it have anything to do with the reason that certain people mispronounce the word ask as aks?

I know I've brought this one up in the past, but it bears repeating: Do most people mispronounce sherbet as sherbert just because it's easier to say it that way, or do they really not know the difference?

Why is it okay for President Bush knowingly to mispronounce nuclear as nucular? I've noticed that Sarah Palin pronounces it that way, too. Probably because that was the way it was programmed when they made the microchip they implanted in the earpiece of her glasses.

Does anyone else care about these things? Or is it just me? Should this go under the Is It Just Me category?

There is one mispronunciation I heard recently that I love and will appropriate forthwith. Instead of anecdote, it was pronounced anticdote. I think that pronunciation might be more apt when the anecdote involves antics of some sort. I don't care for anecdotes without antics, ergo, I prefer anticdotes and will henceforth pronounce anecdote that way. Any dull anecdotes I hear will not be referred to as anticdotes, but rather, antidotes. As in: "That story was a real buzzkill, the ultimate party-mood antidote."

One More Thing

Since I brought her up, bless her heart, just let me say that if the Democrats came up with a potential VP who came across as such a pageant-contestant/android/cheerleader with a diaper bag full of more homespun, folksy (both verbal and facial) expressions than you can shake a hockey stick at, you can doggone betcha the Republicans would be having a field day. I love watching them coddle her and prop her up, knowing full well deep inside their guts that McCain could have and should have done better. Having said all this, at this point, I still remain undecided, ambivalent, apathetic, and disgusted with our choices, each for different reasons.

My time is up and I need to go watch the rest of the Dallas game with Mike. I hope he has a glass of wine waiting for me. And some nachos would be nice, too. I know, keep dreaming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, that one WAS lame, but it was enough to hold me over until the next proper posting, so thanks. and it's NOT just you- i can't stand hearing "nucular"!