Saturday, June 21, 2008

More School of Rock?

But first, revenge of the words:

taxidermy, juxtapose, kabuki, sumo, torso, swami, patina, guru, diorama, rubbish, lackadaisical, typhoon, tsunami, czar, libation, scavenger, cryptic, Argonaut, Minerva, Agamemnon, and most other names from Greek and Roman mythology. I especially like Sisyphus because I know how he felt. That's not to be confused with syphilis, which is also a fun word to say, but I'm proud to say I don't know how that feels. And while we're on the subject, the same goes for gonorrhea and chlamydia—fun to say, but probably not fun to have.

Another old-person word that bothers me: whatnot.

I had to go ahead and post something new so I could start to bury the political stuff which I find less amusing than mindlessness.

Here's a smattering of band names I ran across recently in the San Antonio newspaper: Religious Vomit, Pain Filled Silence, Brass Knuckle Betties, Anal Blast, Blood Stain Carpet, Ballgag, Cancer Whore, Engaged In Mutilating, Psychiatric Regurgitation, Eviscerated, Our Corpse Destroyed, Liferuiner, A Well Thought Tragedy, Malefactor, Drowning Mona, and Chemical Warfare. My favorite is definitely Pain Filled Silence because I can understand that one. The others make me feel pretty good about myself and my mental health. Religious Vomit has a nice ring to it, though. Anal Blast reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live commercial Phil Hartman did for Colon Blow cereal. I can't wait till my kids start driving and take off in the car at midnight with a bunch of androgynous Goth friends to go catch some wholesome undead entertainment. Anal Blast opening for Blood Stain Carpet. Gives you quite a visual there, huh? I remember when Texas' own Butthole Surfers started out back in the early 80s. Apparently, they are still touring. And why wouldn't they, with a classic name like that? There is also a band called the Tex Pistols. Now there's one I may actually go see. It sounds like they might go easy on the performance-art bloodletting and maybe offer up a slightly less intense fear of being disemboweled and tossed into a dumpster in the dive bar's back alley. Does this mean I'm old? Maybe bands with scary names existed back when I was in high school and college, but all I remember are words like sunshine, furs, bunnymen, seagulls, buggles, and bangles. I guess we had Megadeth, Slayer, and Poison, to name a few. Maybe the underground bands of the 80s and early 90s probably with names like Ecstasy Hosebag, Bonesucker, Sorority Gangbang, or Gag Me With a Trailer Hitch just didn't make it. (I bet those could be real band names. I should Google them just to see, but I have to draw the line somewhere in my quest for better time management. That, and the quest for meaning in my so-called life.)

Speaking of time management, I have just been summoned to our neighbors' hot tub. Probably because they ran out of wine and need me to bring some over. And what kind of neighbor would I be if I didn't oblige?

More fun crap later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

since you want to "move on" (.org?), i won't rebut your rebuttal on the previous topic. but i must say, i was a little sad to see you refer to me as the "turd in your punchbowl". i prefer to think of myself as the tiny voice of reason on your shoulder, the smiling sun in your clouds, the lightbulb (incandescent, not CFL, of course) in your dark attic, and yes, admittedly, the hemorrhoid on your ass.
anyways, i did some looking on your behalf and, the comparatively tame (although named for an 18th century torture device) "Iron Maiden" aside, i came up with the following band names from back in our day: Abattoir (french for "slaughterhouse"- cool on 2 levels!), Amputation, Savage Death (who had a hit with "Mass Genocide"), Sodom, Impulse Manslaughter, Blood Feast (best album- "Kill for Pleasure"), Pestilence, Atrocity, the simple yet elegant Death, Massacre, Bloodbath, Meathook, Hail of Bullets, Dismember (who could forget their concert album, "Live Blasphemies"?), the more recent, and fecally themed, Putrid Pile (with songs "Covered in Excrement", and "Shit Bodypainting"), Under Fetid Corpses, and my favorite, Death Fuck. believe me, i could go on and on. what would be really cool is if you uploaded some of the album art from these lovely acts!

Jill Mitchell-Thein said...

Sorry the punchbowl thing made you sad. Not the reaction I was going for, you crybaby. I was hoping it would piss you off. Try harder not to be such a wuss next time, OK?

Excellent additions on the band names! I think it's good that they have an outlet for their rage. Think how many people might be alive today if only Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, or Charles Manson had had some musical talent to help release all that pent-up hostility. Maybe I'd be less homicidal if I could still play piano. And I guess I shouldn't have given up clarinet in 8th grade. All I could do was write dark and self-destructive poetry. In my blood. (That part is a joke. It was someone else's.) Those writings might have landed me in a nuthouse had anyone read them. Maybe I can sell them as lyrics to bands with names like Maggot-Infested Entrails, Fetid Anal Boils, or (my personal favorite) Nympho Necrophiliacs.

Ginfam said...

I happen to know for a FACT that in 8th grade you did NOT write in blood (pretty sure that started in 10th grade) - it was in Purple Pen!! And it did not cause you to end up in a nuthouse - just grounded for 6 weeks!!

P.S. - you know that I absolutely agree with every word of your previous soapbox, even though I still consider myself (basically) Republican...

Lylas, g