Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Four Cents

Let me apologize in advance for the brevity of this post. I know it won't hold you for long, but too much time has passed since my last entry and I started feeling like I was neglecting my legions of loyal readers. Not that I felt guilty about it, mind you. More like sorry for you. So here's a bone:

I have never pretended to be a numbers whiz. Or even a person capable of rudimentary math. As you can see, I'm more of a language arts person. In college, I took basic math. Math for English majors. We learned about sets and about how to write a check. I even tried to master balancing a checkbook. I think that was our final exam. It was an 8:00 class, so I made a D.

I get an upset stomach every time I have to figure out a tip. That's why I always hope someone else will pay. Or, I may say something stupid like, "Let me at least get the tip." (Just the tip.) Then I take an hour and a half writing the numbers on a napkin--doing math in public. I can't do percentages on a calculator. I carry one to help me when I'm shopping and find something that's "half off." I can divide by 2. To figure a tip, I round up, move the decimal to the left, divide that amount in half, and then add that amount to the first one. People say to just double the tax. I guess that would be about right here where tax is about 8-something percent. I can handle tax-doubling (if I round it down of course) as long as I have my trusty calculator. Bad math has caused me to tip as little as $2.50 on a $50 check and as much as $30 on a $15 check. So I guess it evens out.

Aside from bussing tables and supervising the games area at Chuck E. Cheese, I never had a job in food service or retail. The reason? First, I was a spoiled brat. But aside from that, I could never make change. Even with the help of a cash register, I would still need to count the money out. Sure, I can identify all the coins and bills; it was just the quick gathering of them that I could never master. I liked those old registers that would spit the coins down a little chute on the side. I guess that was back in the days of wheat pennies and buffalo nickels. And no, I'm not old enough to remember those days. I'm just imagining. The days when everything was in black and white and when people never noticed the smell of cigarette smoke because it was pretty much the same as the air.

While I love shopping at garage sales and flea markets, I dread the whole exchange of cash thing. The vendor will fork over some coins and ask, "Did I count that right?" "Sure," I say. Not wanting to appear less intelligent than the toothless sucker who just sold me a highly sought-after, authentic, vintage, mint-condition Gucci bag for $4.50. (Look for it on eBay soon.)

As much as I dislike making change, I do love finding coins. I even wrote a super cheesy story about it called Lucky Pennies. It's in A Second Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul (Page 293). That was 10 years ago. I like to think my writing has improved since then. Or at least become less cheesy. In college and even law school, I used to casually check pay phones and vending machines for change. Like a homeless person. One time, in high school (this one time...in high school...) I was in line at McDonald's with a friend. We were waiting to ask for medium Cokes in large cups so we could add our Jack Daniel's to it when we got back to the car. These were the days before it became "socially inappropriate" for 16-year-olds to drink and drive, and to do so without even a passing thought about using a seat belt. Goood times… (My amazement at our survival must wait for another post.) So anyway, there we are in the line, probably already buzzed, and I spot a nickel on the floor. Well, I of course bend down to pick it up as my friend draws my attention to the puddle of pee the coin is swimming in thanks to an unattended and incontinent toddler. Can't remember whether I went for it anyway.

One time I took our change jar to one of those Coinstar machines at the grocery store. I dumped the jar and enjoyed watching it do its thing. It spit out a voucher for like $94, which I thought was great until I decided to read the sign on the machine that says it withholds like 9%. I didn't know how much 9% would have added up to as I think I would have had to employ some impossible algebraic equation. I was pretty sure that 10% of $100 was $10. But I'm not sure how that related to my exact circumstances. I don't do as well with numbers other than 10. I just felt ripped off and wondered how much I really had in that dang jar. How much would the bank have given me? I'll know better next time.

Now to the reason for the title. When I go to Sonic (which is one of the most unhealthy fast food places ever, so the kids love it) I always act like a generous big spender and tell the carhop kid to keep the change (unless I use my debit card, in which case they are SOL). I never think about how much the change might be, so I have probably tipped up to 99 cents sometimes. Today I pulled a fairly recent Sonic receipt out of my purse. I paid $9.00 in cash on a total bill of $8.96.

8 comments:

Lynda and Joe said...

Chica, you need one of those little credit card sized tip tables. They're a lifesaver when you are too tired/drunk/stupid to do the math. It gives you the tip on whole dollar amounts at 15% and 20%. Truly a godsend for the tip impaired.

Ginfam said...

First of all - YOU WERE THE WORST CHUCK E. CHEESE EVER!!!! I can't tell you the number of times that I would take my kids there for their birthday & Thank God he wasn't you ;o}...

BTW - did I ever tell you about the time that, after they stopped selling beer at Chuck E. Cheese (WHATEVER!!), I wrapped a box of wine in Elmo birthday paper and had it off to the side "For Mommies Only"?!?!

Second - I loved your "Pennies..." story - it ALMOST made me think you were sweet!!!

As for MATH - OMG!!!!! ONLY you and my ex-sister-in-law actually took 'balancing your checkbook' as a final!!! OH - and my sister Paula (Oh God - it's Paula)!!! You would just always look and me and say "So... what do I owe?” If I didn't love you more than my luggage - I could have made a killing)!!!

P.S. - Sonic SUCKS!!!! And so does your less than 5% tip!!!!

LYLAS, xxooxx - g

Jill Mitchell-Thein said...

Lynda, I DO have one of those cards. Thanks for reminding me. It's a little more discreet and much faster than my "carry the one" method. I also found out that my cell phone has a tip calculator. That way, I can just look like I'm texting ever-so-casually when I'm actually battling severe inner turmoil as I hope to figure the magic number before anyone asks what the hold up is. At least tipping doesn't involve subtraction. If I have to "borrow," especially from a zero, I'm screwed. That's when the calculator has to come out.

And Ginger, I'll have you know, I rocked in that Chuck costume. I have such fond memories of sweating my ass off inside that thing wearing my brown, red, and yellow polyester uniform. But I'm still in therapy for post-traumatic stress after having a horde of children (of the corn) pull my tail off and beat me with it. As you may have noticed, today's Chuck doesn't sport a long rat tail. Know why? Me.

Anonymous said...

tipping is a touchy subject with me. i refuse to buy into the notion that properly taking my order, delivering my food in a timely manner, and maintaining a pseudo-pleasant disposition requires anything beyond 10%. this is the bare minimum in service that i expect (nay, demand). in order to get into the 15-20% range, you're going to have to wow me. which is hard to do. and this only refers to waiters at sit-down restaurants. i mean, what's the deal with all these tip cups on the counters of every other establishment? i've seen them at dunkin donuts, the dry cleaner, airport juice kiosks etc, and i hear they're at starbucks too- although i don't drink that gross stuff, so i can't say for sure. handing me a cruller and my change does NOT deserve a tip! because of this philosophy, my wife calls me "cheap", but i prefer to think of it as "stridently dogmatic". so, let me commend you on your 4-cent tip, we finally find common ground!

Jill Mitchell-Thein said...

I can be a cheapskate and I can certainly be rude, but normally it is not intentional. The cheapskate part is a congenital personality disorder and the rudeness is simply a result of thoughtless self-centeredness.

You, my friend, have more of an entitlement personality, as if you exist in some all-inclusive resort where everyone is here to serve you. Service people look at me as a typical clueless blonde who can't help it. They look at you and think, "Ooooh, Mr. Patek-Phillipe-watch-in-his-cravat-and- smoking-jacket can't afford to flip a plebe an extra buck for a smoke. Mr. signing-the-check-with-his-$10K-collectible-fountain-pen. What a prick, they'll say. They'll keep an eye on you and you'll end up with some jizz in your next order of saffron-rosemary-truffle infused mashed fingerling potatoes. (Wait, who am I kidding, they don't know what a Patek Phillipe is, much less whatever that fancy-Swiss-named, outrageously-priced watch is that you wear to impress...whom? Maybe Donald Trump would recognize the name of it. Maybe Richard Branson. Do you ever get your kids' peanut butter or McDonald's ketchup on it?)

I do agree with you, however, that tip cups at counter places are tasteless and overreaching. I'm sorry, I just forked over $5.00 on a latte and you have the nerve to ask for extra? Is it for the privilege of staring at your droopy pierced eyelid and oh-so-kissable tattooed lips? I may tip at Starbucks if the barrista pulls off some (pre-freak) Tom Cruise moves from "Cocktail," but otherwise, no way.

Anonymous said...

[eye roll] ugh- first of all, it's Patek PhiLiPPE (one L, two Ps, mine's a model 5085), secondly, the other watch i wear is an A. Lange und Sohne and it's GERMAN (not Swiss), and third, the most i've ever spent on a fountain pen is $600 for my Omas Galileo Galilei (not $10K, although you could spend that much on a Michel Perchin). now that i've corrected your plebeian mistakes, i still don't see why you would say people think i'm a snobby prick...

Jill Mitchell-Thein said...

I'm glad you caught my intentional errors. I knew they would irritate you. I did see a Patek "Phillipe" in a more upscale area of one of the China towns I've visited, where I invested in some Cucci and Goach purses along with a Feiko watch. You know it's bad if you can't even get a real Seiko. You know, as much as I like flea markets and bargains, I am a total snob when it comes to my purse, wallet, and briefcase. I can't believe how many people think the "good fake" Coach bags look "real." I can smell poor-quality stitching and inferior fabric and leather from ten miles away. Of course, I do look a little incongruous bickering with flea market vendors as I pull change from my Coach purse and Coach wallet. Again, this is part of what I call my enigmatic mystique. I've had 2 gin & tonics now, so I'll have to sign off at this time. Bombay Sapphire. Is that classy enough? I wouldn't know.

Ginfam said...

You TWO should be ashamed!!! How could y’all be THAT shallow??? I mean!! My pens cost .29 for a dozen at Target (where I buy an extra 12 dozen for charity)!!! And my fabulous, much commented on, "where did you get that" watch (which cost $7 at Taiwan Alley - along with 'faux' bag - which also gets DAILY “fab” comments for only $15)... HOW could you be that socially negligent?!?!?

Now, if you will please excuse me, this much typing is TOTALLY messing up my new $100 mani/pedi for tomorrow's $300 Jersey Boy Musical!!!!

Lylas - g

P.S. - has anyone seen my Fendi eyeglasses?? I can't read my 30+ books without them!!!