Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Fathers' Day

Today is another stupid Hallmark card-selling holiday like Valentine's Day, Grandparents' Day, Bosses' Day, Administrative Professionals' Day, and Christmas. These earmarked days do provide a chance for us to reflect a bit and thank those who matter to us, but I resent having a calendar tell me when to express my love or appreciation to anyone. Then again, were it not for the calendar or a brightly-colored display in the card section of Target, I might forget to share any sentiments at all. While I don't much care for the so-called "holidays," I've felt a bit left out on this one since 2006. Like being rejected by a club I didn't really want to join in the first place.

But Fathers' Day now gives me a chance to watch my happy kids pick out, sign, and hand-deliver cards to their dad. (Well worth the cost of a couple of $6.00 cards.) Katy called him this morning from my in-laws' house to tell him she loves him and misses him. Her sweet voice on the phone is priceless. She's nine, but on the phone she still sounds like a four-year-old. I guess it's OK to give in to this calendar-scheduled love-offering just for that.

This morning I overheard Mike talking to his dad and telling him how fortunate he is to have such a supportive, generous, and loving father. (I did get lucky in the in-laws department.) I sat there wishing I had at least picked out a card for us to send.

I think of my dad and miss him every day. I can't tell him I love him like I used to no matter what day it is.

But hey, one less card to buy.

3 comments:

Joellen said...

My heart breaks for you! I am sending you a HUGE hug!

Lynda and Joe said...

Yeah, it totally sucks, doesn't it? There are no dads left on either side of our family now, and even after 6 years, I still miss mine... I hope I told and showed him often enough without the card holiday. I'm sure you did too.

chris said...

i abandoned my kids in favor of being in England for the British Grand Prix on Father's Day, so i don't have much standing to comment here