Saturday, January 26, 2008

Fun Mom or Pathetic Aging Dork?

I went roller skating last night. It's one of the few sports I can do. I think I can still ski okay, too. But don't ask me to play anything involving a ball. Too much running. I like sports that let you coast. Like biking. Downhill.

So every couple of months, Katy's school reserves a roller rink for a skate party. It's a long drive, and the place is surrounded by gun stores, used car lots and pawn shops. It's called Rollercade. I've found information that it opened in 1984, but its MySpace page (yes, it has its own MySpace page) says that it's 56 years old (and female). I graduated from high school in 1984, so I still consider the 80s to be recent history. This place looks like something out of American Graffiti or Happy Days. Its big bright flashing neon sign is not "retro;" it's a true anachronism. Its interior walls are carpeted in colors usually reserved only for bowling alleys and cheap motels-—geometric designs in purple, orange, yellow, and gray, all time-worn and matted. The rink is encircled by a waist-high cinderblock wall well-coated with a good quarter inch of layer upon layer of (probably lead) paint, hot dog grease, and Jolly Rancher stickiness. The snack bar steadily exhales its popcorn butter and ball park nacho cheese breath into the asbestos-laced air. It's dimly-lit, like a good roller rink should be. All the better to be mesmerized by the dusty and chipped disco ball that still twirls proudly, pretending to be a full moon winking at the world below. The place is a bit of a dump. And I absolutely love it.

It's like time travel. I can feel its history and see its ghosts. Big-haired, blue-eyeshadowed girls giggling over boys in parachute pants and skinny ties. I see Marcia Bradys and Wally Cleavers and even a Lenny or a Squiggy. Mostly I see my 7th grade self. I feel that ache of unrequited love for the popular boy who didn't know my name. I remember that sick feeling in my gut when the lights would go down and I'd hear the first few bars of that Styx song, Babe. (If you're around my age, you can hear it now, can't you? So beautifully heartbreaking.) That song meant it was time for the couples to skate. Boyfriends held their girlfriends' hands and rolled slowly by, feeling that teenage hormonal kind of love. The kind of love you felt slow dancing at the prom with your dreamboat sweetheart as if no one else in the world existed. Back when "4-ever" really meant something. (It meant you had no concept of just how long forever could be, but it also meant that the grown-up real-world definition of forever didn't matter at all.) I would watch the couples and pretend not to care as I seethed with envy and self-pity, watching the secret object of my innocent desire wrap his perfect arm around his perfect cheerleader girlfriend. I didn't have a real boyfriend or feel that "4-ever" love until I was about 17. Too old for skating. I imagine if I had been one of those lucky couples skaters, a trip to the rink today would still be bittersweet. Of course, for them, more sweet than bitter.

Whoa, I went off a little there, didn't I? I only meant to say that I skated the entire time. I was lapping all the kids, and sent only a few of them clattering to the floor in my wake. I weaved in and out through clusters of clumsy skaters like the roller derby queen I imagined I was. I resisted the urge to sing along to the music. They played a lot of Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers, so I had to act like I didn't know the words, lest I make a real dork of myself. And I resisted the urge to do the hand motions when they played YMCA. Good thing I was sober. I did catch myself singing when they played Smash Mouth's All Star. And yes, I did do the "shape of an L on her forehead." I think my kids still think I'm a fun mom. Unless they have me snowed and they're already mocking me behind my back. I wouldn't put it past them. Anyway, I was glad I had made a chiropractor appointment for this morning. Now I'm off for a hot Epsom salt bath. Time travel can be a treat for your mind, but it's hell on your body.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same Sore Muscles, Different Perspective

i just got back from taking my son to the skating rink- only since we live a couple of degrees latitude south of the magnetic pole (ie Boston), it was an ice-skating rink instead of a rollerskating one. James turns 4 next month, which means i’ll be officially regarded by the hockey-crazed New Englander types around here as a Bad Father if he isn’t doing backwards cross-unders by then. i fear i’m in danger of earning that moniker (see? i’m doing my part to revive it), since my teaching technique consists of crouching down behind James, grabbing him by the waist and pushing him around like a piece of furniture as he tries to keep both skates in contact with the ice at once. somehow, my doing all the work seems to be retarding his skating development. anyways, after not too many loops around the rink like that… like, one, my back, legs and feet are yelling loudly at my brain to knock it off and let them start acting their age. so I plop James in the penalty box for him to rest (hey, even the hockey enforcer-goons make millions- who says he needs to be the next Sidney Crosby?), and straighten up to do a few circuits in a proper skating posture, trying to trick my aching muscles into believing this will help them work the kinks out. i swivel my head so that I’m always in eye-contact with James as I go around. not so much so that he feels secure knowing that i am keeping strangers at bay merely with my Daddy-Protector glower, but more so that i can watch him watching me. as i come to a decent, but slightly shaky, hockey stop in front of the penalty box door (telling myself that i could have kicked up a really COOL amount of snow if my skates only had gotten a decent grind last time i sharpened them), the look of hero-worshipping awe on James’s face at my apparent skating prowess fills me to bursting with a warm glow of pride and love. i realize in that moment that it’s all ahead of me- i’ll watch him grow, watch him learn to skate, learn to date, learn to leave me behind and become his own man, and maybe, if i’m lucky, he’ll one day invite me to a rink as he teaches his own boy to skate.

PS- i vote for aging dork, i need the company!

K-tad said...

I took my kids skating last week too! only I did not get the opportunity to skate, I was following Ben around the arcade area while he played all the video games with out actually incerting quarters. Luckily for me, he is still young enough to think he is actually playing the games - what with all the blinking lights and and bells and whistles.

I did get to watch Chloe skate around the rink. She dressed herself ( as usual ) She worn a blue and white full mini skirt, grey leggings, hot pink long sleeve too tight t-shirt, and her Brownie vest. She glided around the rink in her purple and white skates with more confidence than I ever remembered having at that age. As she whizzed by, a friend of mine I was standing next too looked at Chloe and broke out singing Xanadoo. How appropriate I thought.

Anyway, reading your blog did remind me of Skating back in the day. It reminded me of when Greg Hoover kissed me in the back of Teri Helms late model 1970s, groovy double decker van as her mother drove us all home. UGH. I can still feel the slober dribbling down my chin. Nothing like a couple of sixth graders learning how to "french". ( mental note: Chloe will not be allowed to go on group dates if the parent drives a mini-van) Oh, and there was the time my BFF and I got in trouble for PDA and were sent to the the skate rink office to wait there with all the other PDA offenders with the general manager keeping us in lock down until our ride came to pick us up. My friend's mom was waiting outside for us, and the manager told us that she would have to come in to get us. My friend said that she won't be able to come in because she has a fever blister.

Thanks for taking me back to the good old days. Now back to reality.

ps: Does the comment option have a spell check? Please disregard any grammar errors, I was a home ec. major.

Jill Mitchell-Thein said...

FYI, folks, "K-Tad" is my little sister. Some say her sense of humor rivals mine. I tend to think so too (sometimes). If she tries too hard to steal my thunder, I may have to silence her. But for now, my desire to bring laughter to your lives overrides the temptation to squelch my sister's efforts. I shall allow her comments in the interest of making this world a better place for all humankind. That's just the kind of sister and benevolent blogger I am.

K-tad said...

FYI Jill,

I used K-tad as a code name. Thanks for blowing my cover. There will be no more comments.