Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"…Oh, so you work for the VA?" AAAaaarrrggghhh!

(And I don't mean to say that with a pirate accent. But if I did, it would be funny.)

The answer to the title question is No. Quite the contrary. People don't seem to get it.

First, I don't like to advertise that I'm an attorney:

1. No one believes it's possible because
(a) I'm a "blonde"
(b) I'm never serious enough
(c) I have only a superficial understanding of world history and current events
(d) Any combination of the above
(e) (b) and (d)

2. When they find out and see that I don't make any money at it, they must think
(a) I'm a sucky lawyer
(b) I'm a lame businessperson
(c) I have no drive or ambition and "why did she bother going to law school?"
(d) I'm so honorable to have given up a lucrative salary and high-powered career for the sake of my family
(e) All of the above except (d)

3. I think I'm scamming people because
(a) It sounds funny to me, too
(b) I feel like a girl in a costume who says she's a princess
(c) I feel like a stripper who tells everyone she's a ballerina
(d) I feel like a ballerina who is really a stripper
(e) (d)

4. I may miss out on some lawyer jokes I haven't already heard
(a) Like that'll ever happen,
(b) Then I have to chuckle politely at a lighthearted attempt to offend members of my profession when the only thing that really offends me is the jokester's negligent use of a trite and insipid riddle,
(c) At which point I will be forced to reach into my handy freight car full of witty and sarcastic comebacks that all-too-often will hurt some fragilian's feelings,
(d) And then my audience will mutter amongst themselves things like, "See what a bitch she is? I told you she was a lawyer."
(e) This one is not multiple choice

Now, on to the point I was trying to make.
When people ask me if I work, where I work, what I do, or why did you write me that nasty letter, I hesitantly say that I'm a lawyer. I have been an attorney for over 17 years and that word still sounds funny coming out of my mouth. It's a big part of my life and it takes up a lot of otherwise barren real estate in my mind, but it's not who I am. My heart is in it, but only to the extent that it satisfies my desire to analyze and to write and to make my enemies suffer in abject shame as I expose their unscrupulous and heinous acts with my superior intellect, my unparalleled legal research skills, and my sly ability to threaten blackmail by distributing non-existent hidden-camera video, and (oh yeah) to help people.

Anyway, so this is what I usually say: "I mainly practice veterans' law. I fight the VA. I handle benefits appeals for veterans or veterans' widows who deserve compensation from the VA." Sometimes I dumb it down even more, but I always say, "I Fight The V.A." Then, nine times out of ten, this is what I get: They nod approvingly and say, "Oh, so you work for the VA. That's great." I have to take a deep breath, tell myself (1) they weren't listening to my boring job description, (2) they know not what they say, and (3) they are idiots who don't mean to insult me.

Then I politely say, "Uh, NO. I Do Not Work FOR The VA. I FIGHT them. They are the EVIL Empire. I am doing the Lord's work here, you moron. Don't you listen?" Then I tell them if they know any disabled vets, I'll be glad to help them or at least put their file on my back burner with all the others. I wonder whether they think, "Wow, she's mean. If I were to fight the VA, I'd want her on my side," or simply "Yep, she's a lawyer alright. What a bitch."

Whatever. Thanks for letting me rant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard this one?

The Madam opened the brothel door to see a gentleman. "Can I help you?" the madam asked.
"I want Natalie," the man replied.
"Sir, Natalie is our most expensive lady, perhaps someone else..."
"No, I must see Natalie." Just then Natalie appeared and announced to the man that she charges $2,000 per visit. Without hesitating, the man reached into his pocket and handed her twenty crisp, new $100 bills. The two went up to a room where the man [boinked] her every way from Sunday. Hours later the man calmly left and Natalie nursed her sore areas.
The next night he appeared again demanding to see Natalie. Natalie explained that no one had ever come back two nights in a row and that there were no discounts...it was still $2,000 a visit. Again the man immediately took out the money, the two went up to the room and he used her for [enthusiastically forceful], degrading [whoopee] in every possible [physical venue], leaving her filthy and in pain as he walked out.
When he showed up the third consecutive night, no one could believe it. Again he handed Natalie the fresh bills and up to the room they went. After hours of [genitalia-bumping] perversion of a most [animalistic] nature, Natalie finally questioned the man: "No one has ever used me like this for three nights in a row, as expensive as I am. Where are you from?"
The man replied, "I'm from New York."
"Really?" replied Natalie. "I have family who lives there."
"Yes, I know," said the man. "Your father is dead, and I'm the executor's attorney. He asked me to give this $6,000 to you."

Jill Mitchell-Thein said...

Yes, Of course I have. I'm sorry, but I had to edit some of your language so as to maintain the ostensible family-friendly "dignity" of this blog. Edits are in brackets. The funny thing is, those who would be most offended by obscenities will now be able to insert (so to speak) their own dirty-minded words that may be worse than what you originally said.
But yes, I have heard that one about 73 times. The hooker's name changes, but the rest is the exact same. So she got screwed by a lawyer. At least she made some money on the deal.

Anonymous said...

damn! i feel like it's my duty to find a lawyer joke that hasn't been foisted on you yet- i know that misses most of the point of your post, but i'm going for the cheesy way out on this one. and i agree, i think your edits make the story funnier- it's a classic used to great effect by Opie and Anthony, where they use a "Bleep" sound in place of certain words, say from a newspaper story, leaving the listener to fill in the blanks out of their own sick minds. hillarity ensues