Monday, April 28, 2008

First Yardwork De-Brief & More Word Nerd

First, I'm posting this to call attention away from the prior one so as to temper any dreary effect you might be left with had that been your only offering for the day.

I mowed the lawn all on my own for the first time yesterday. That Craftsman riding mower has an amazing turning radius. And the horsepower is impressive as well. (By the way, what's horsepower?) I think I scalped the yard. Here's a tip. You can cut the grass better if you engage and lower the blades. I covered half of our small front yard before I realized I wasn't cutting anything. Also, fill up the tank while the mower is still near the gas, so you don't have to lug the gas can across an acre and slosh it all over yourself on the way. I was fortunate to have had my dear friend Ginger in town and at the ready with a camera to provide proof of my newfound talent. Here's the casualty list: one sprinkler head (that I'm aware of), one rock that I turned into gravel, a garden hose (just kidding, Mike), an Otter Pop wrapper, a small frog, my right thumbnail, and my left cornea. Stay tuned for a soul-stirring weed-eating report.

I'm sorry, but this whole words-I-like or words-I-dislike thing has taken on a life of its own. I have kept it in my head for so long, and now it's out on display for public consumption as if anyone cares. But apparently, many of you do care because you have offered up some of your own favorites. So again, please indulge me and, as always, feel welcome to offer any of your own, albeit probably inferior, suggestions.

More words I like: shenanigans (which really belongs with my earliest list from March), amalgam, conglomeration, antithesis, mercurial, ethereal, karma, dharma, stigma, stigmata, quagmire, pallid, buoyant. More from Kundera: hobo (which I should really attribute to John Hodgman because of his absurd and hilarious hobo obsession in his book Areas of My Expertise), didactic, milieu, Kafka, Balzac, Flaubert, Rabelais, Bovary, Bovaristic, apparatus, Quixotic, Sancho, clairvoyant, burlesque.

Words I prefer not to hear or ponder: slut, menstruate, flaccid, nausea, yearn, spurn.

Again, procrastination break over. Back to work before I get slammed with more of the deadlines breathing down my neck. Not to mention the drippy faucet and weed-eating worries eating at my gut.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

some fun work words:
parenchymal
parenteral
dysesthesia
caudal
valsalva
Moyamoya
pruritus
amaurosis fugax
intramedullary
iliopsoas
schistosomiasis

some other fun words:
apocryphal
sybaritic
sartorial
hirsute
chimera
inculcate
dubious
spurious
avuncular
alacrity
schadenfreude

Jill Mitchell-Thein said...

I'm so impressed with the cut-and- paste from your medical glossaries and word-a-day website calendar. I approve of most of your entries, and I do like a lot of medical terms unless they refer to something nasty, then I usually love them. Parenchymal always makes me think of pachyderm, which then sounds like it should be a skin disease. I am not fond of the word hirsute as it conjures images of hairy, masculine women. Hmmm, that reminds me of (s)he who shall not be named. And I don't mean Voldemort. Not that I ever make Harry Potter references intelligently b/c I don't get those stories and can't read the books or watch the movies without wishing I was doing something more interesting like sitting in a drunk tank waiting for my new neck tattoo to heal. I like chimera, too. That reminds me of alchemy for some reason. It also makes me think of chimenea. Avuncular sounds like it should be a medical term like jugular. As in, "The patient bled out when Chris carelessly jabbed an electrode into his cerebral avuncular artery." But of course, our favorite word has got to be Schadenfreude. It is like my theme word, my middle name, my raison d'etre. Maybe I can make it my nickname. Just call me "Schad." I should start a new section of foreign words I like that have no English equivalent. Then again, I really need to get a life instead.

Anonymous said...

give me a break, Schad. i only include words that i've used correctly at least once in a sentence- and i don't mean a sentence like "i wonder how you'd use the word 'parenchymal' in a sentence". i pick ones that i like because of the way they sound, the cool way they make something simple sound mysterious, or especially for their ability to make someone who doesn't know what they mean feel like a dumbass when i drop one into the conversation!
i wouldn't include these work words, or any of my other entries, unless i have, do and will use them on at least a semi-regular basis.
especially pruritus ani.